Birth Registry Accuracy
The Integrated Perinatal Health Information System (IPHIS) is Ohio’s birth registry. Formerly known as the “birth certificate,” IPHIS is the most extensive perinatal data base in Ohio. Built upon National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS) guidelines, IPHIS information is used to make public policy and state funding decisions. Researchers and Quality Improvement specialists, who study factors which affect the health of pregnant women and their newborns, use IPHIS data to track important indicators such as preterm birth, low birth weight, complications of pregnancy, newborn outcomes and breastfeeding upon discharge. Information accuracy is essential to make IPHIS information trustworthy enough to be used for these important health care decisions.
OPQC understands that perinatal health information changes often as knowledge grows. Ongoing learning is essential for clinical and birth registry staff so that the integrity of birth registry data can be maintained. The resources and training opportunities here are designed to give you the most up to date information possible so that the birth registry data from your hospital can be confidently used to improve outcomes for all Ohio moms and babies.
The Ohio Perinatal Quality Collaborative and The Ohio Department of Health - Vital Statistics hosted six regional training opportunities for OB clinicians and birth registry staff responsible for IPHIS birth registry data entry.
Regional Workshop Training Dates 2016:
- Tuesday, May 17, 2016 in Columbus, OH
- Tuesday, May 24, 2016 in Toledo, OH
- Tuesday, June 7, 2016 in Canton, OH
- Tuesday, August 16, 2016 in Cincinnati, OH
- Tuesday August 23, 2016 in Athens, OH
- Tuesday, August 30, 2016 in Cleveland, OH
Regional Workshop Training Dates 2017:
- Tuesday, August 1, 2017 in Canton, OH
- Tuesday, August 8, 2017 in Cincinnati, OH
- Tuesday, August 15, 2017 in Cleveland, OH
- Wednesday, August 23, 2017 in Columbus, OH
- Tuesday, August 29, 2017 in Toledo, OH
These workshops focused on the new Ohio Vital Statistics Data Improvement Dashboard and discussed specific challenges consistent with IPHIS data accuracy. Please click here to download the 2016 slides or the 2017 slides.
IPHIS Virtual office Hours
Presentation Dates 2017:
- Friday, February 24, 2017: The "Baker's Dozen" or the "13 key IPHIS variables"
- Friday, March 17, 2017: Accurately locating IPHIS variable in the medical record
- Friday, April 21, 2017: Assistive Reproductive Technology (ART)
- Friday, May 19, 2017: Obstetric Estimate of Gestational Age
- Friday, June 23, 2017: IPHIS Variables related to accurate documentation of Prematurity
Presentation Dates 2016:
- Friday, January 15, 2016: Improving accuracy in geography-related IPHIS variables
- Friday, February 19, 2016: Improving accuracy in IPHIS variables related to plurality, such as number of births/birth order/number of live births
- Friday, March 11, 2016: Medicaid payers - How to identify Medicaid approved carriers in your region
- Friday, April 15, 2016: Accurate Documentation of IPHIS Breast-feeding Variables
- Friday, September 2, 2016: Improving IPHIS Accuracy
- Friday, September 9, 2016: Improving IPHIS Accuracy - The Medical Variables
- Friday, September 30, 2016: Premature Birth, Infant Mortality, and the Ohio Progesterone Project
IPHIS Education Training Modules
Below are five online modules which describe the use of the IPHIS as the essential perinatal data base in Ohio. These modules are approximately 30 minutes each, and are entirely self-study.
IPHIS Variables And educational brochures
2016 Presentation Dates:
- Friday, February 12, 2016: IPHIS accuracy - A review of progress over the past 2 years
- Friday, March 18, 2016: What parts of IPHIS can we trust to be accurate?
- Friday, May 6, 2016: Surrogacy, same sex marriage, & other registration challenges in IPHIS
- Friday, May 20, 2016: Accurate demographics - maternal & paternal last name & county accuracy
- Friday, June 24, 2016: Meeting the accuracy challenges of IPHIS prenatal documentation
2014 Presentation Dates:
- Friday, November 14, 2014
- Monday, November 17, 2014
- Thursday, December 11, 2014
- Slides: New IPHIS Birth Registry Variables: Improving Perinatal Health Documentation in Ohio
- Recording: Listen to the Webinar Here
ODH/Vital Statistics Vital Support Site
Frequently used reference materials:
Easy Step Guide: IPHIS User Management and Birth Facility
- IPHIS Worksheets: Facility Worksheet, Mother's Worksheet and Guide to Completing the Facility Worksheet
- Tip Sheets: Searching in IPHIS and Adding a Note to IPHIS
- Office of Vital Statistics Help Desk: 614-466-2531
*Photo Attribution: Monkey Business Images/Shutterstock